Sunday, July 8, 2012

So Much Done, So Little Time


Everything is finally coming together.  When we started interviewing people I was worried that we would not have enough information to make a documentary.  I was completely wrong.  We have so much information; we don’t know what to do with it all.  Each group is doing one documentary.  If we had more time I would have enjoyed having each student do his or her own documentary; unfortunately the condensed schedule of the summer has limited us. 

My group has been working hard to remain focused on the commercial and retail spaces of Thurston woods.  There have been moments that I need to remind myself that we cannot include all the great stories we have come across.  Still, just because we do not use a clip does not mean it will go unused.  Interclipper has been a great tool, allowing us to share all our audio and notes with the other groups in class.  It is always exciting to find a new piece of audio you did not know existed.   

As our documentary changes, we continue to connect to forgotten pieces of not just Thurston Woods but the history of Milwaukee.  Comparing pictures of Silver Spring from the 1970s and now, you may not think it is the same place.  In our final week we hope to find some more historic photos of historic Thurston Woods.  We hope that we can reinforce the wonderful stories we have heard with some powerful images.  I really hope these projects shine a light on an overlooked part Milwaukee that I have been excited to learn about. 

I cannot get over how much work we have been able to achieve in such a short period of time.  I look forward to seeing what everyone creates in the final week of our class.